just my little corner of the internet in which to bare my soul about this bear of a journey







Sunday, October 30, 2011

Cleaning

Most of us dislike cleaning, even hate it.  I actually don't mind cleaning.  What I really don't like is organizing.  Filing papers, arranging papers on my desk - I loathe it.  I would seriously rather mop the floor and scrub the toilet than try to find a proper "home" for the checks, last semester's journal articles, that millionth highlighter.  It doesn't help, of course, that we do not own a real filing cabinet.  We have a makeshift one with shelves, but not drawers with grown-up folders labeled "car repairs" or anything of that sort.  So for now, in boxes go the journal articles, business cards, transcripts, book marks, tax documents, and other odds and ends, at least until I move to Singapore *gulp*! 

One thing that I have done in preparation for the big move to Singapore is actually go through my clothes and get rid of things that no longer fit.  I got rid of some pieces that I've had for over 10 years, yikes!  I am happy to say I've filled two large trash bags with clothes that will be picked up later this week (along with many other items) by the Big Brothers Big Sisters organization.  I had a lovely time going through these clothes to give away with my roommate and a friend.  I realized that I can have an emotional attachment to clothing.  As we went through the clothes I remembered who I met while wearing that skirt, or where I went while wearing that jacket.  I also have an incredibly good memory, mA.  I doubt I'll ever part with the shirt I was wearing when Mike and I shared our first kiss, even though it barely fit at the time!  I must admit, it feels good to simplify a little bit and give away that which we don't use anymore.  I'm also really happy that my clothes will find new homes with people who really need them.

4 comments:

  1. I did this too a couple weeks ago and was thinking about writing about it this week if the time is there. Every time I move I go through my clothes, but this time we only have one very narrow closet in our house, so I sold a large box of clothing and gave away another box full.

    I couldn't part with the somewhat hideous shirt I was wearing when I met Will... I don't think I ever will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...at least until I move to Singapore"

    You're moving to Singapore!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll do your filing if you clean my bathroom...

    ReplyDelete